Monday, October 19, 2009

Daily Grace

Christine Wyrtzen Devotional

A PRAYER

Deal bountifully with your servant, that I may live and keep your word. Psalm 119:17

Lord, forgive me for just assuming that another day will be mine. For years, I just expected that I would awaken as always; alive, healthy, and the world would be what it had always been. I did not see that it is your mercy that keeps the earth on its axis. If it were just one degree off course in its rotations, I would be burned alive or frozen to death.

You made my body to work miraculously; muscles, a complex web of nerve endings, an endocrine system that is held together by delicate balances of hormones. Sight, touch, hearing, all are a product of your handiwork. It takes something so little to shut down life. To get up in the morning and experience all of them working together is a gracious gift, daily.

I think of all the times in my life when I accused you of not having a heart for me, of not being good. Yet I recognize that you have dealt bountifully with me for the breadth of my lifetime. Because of your generous heart, I have lived, I have survived the valleys of my life, I have sought You, and I have a heart that longs to know You and keep Your Word.

I echo David's prayer today, Lord. Deal bountifully with me. I know the One from whom my very breath comes. I don't take it for granted. Since You have given me life, my life is yours.

Amen


No comments: