Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Risking Totally

These verses (16-17, The Message) are just before the Great Commission [Matthew 28]
Meanwhile, the eleven disciples were on their way to Galilee, headed for the mountain Jesus had set for their reunion. The moment they saw him they worshiped him. Some, though, held back, not sure about worship, about risking themselves totally.
What struck me about these verses is the idea that some held back from worship because they were not willing to totally risk themselves. So, in my mind, I have rearranged these concepts (but hopefully not the meaning) to state it this way:

Worship is not holding back, but totally risking yourself in believing God is God.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jim, I have to look into this a little more. The NIV simply says, "...some doubted...". I have to look at some different translations. At any rate, what in the world were some of the eyewitnesses doubting, or in doubt about? I know I need more faith, because I tend to doubt what I can do on my own, even though I know God can do all things. Maybe I tend to doubt that God will be with me, or that I am doing the right thing that God would want to bless. Still, I wonder how an eyewitness could doubt anything! In the NIV it sounds like the disciples doubted that the Jesus who was ascending into heaven was the same Jesus who suffered and died. It sounds to me like they were entertaining the possibility that it was all a surreal waking dream that would end soon. Still pondering... pj