Friday, April 04, 2008

Prejudices

Christian Working Woman Transcript

Friday, April 04, 2008 - Facing Our Prejudices


I've looked at racial prejudice, economic prejudice and career prejudice. But did you ever think about the prejudice we have toward gifts? We tend to think some gifts and abilities are more important than others. I happen to have a gift that is visible; it puts me up in front of people. And we get the idea that those are the really special gifts, while the gifts of hospitality and administration and mercy get short-changed.

But all gifts are equally important and should be valued and appreciated equally. I often pray "Lord, deliver me from the celebrity syndrome," which is my way of saying, "Remind me often that I'm a servant and my gift is no more special than anyone else's."

And within the Body of Christ we often detect denominational or doctrinal prejudices. Certainly we need to know God's Word and stand strong and true on basic doctrines which can never be compromised. But dear friends, there are many areas where we can have differences of opinion and belief, and still have sweet fellowship.

Do you think that your way is the only way there is to worship? Are you prejudiced toward people who do it differently–think they're less spiritual or something? A good idea is to visit other kinds of Bible-believing churches and see how wonderful it is to worship God like they do. I love the way the Afro-Americans worship, with emotion and gusto and without regard to clocks. I love their music; it touches my heart. I can worship with them without any trouble.

I also love the classical, more sedate type of worship. I've visited churches with strong ecclesiastical services, and found great beauty and depth in the rituals. The old hymns can hardly be replaced for meaning and splendor, and we should not overlook them just because we have some new ways of singing now.

I truly hope that this series on facing the prejudice within us will cause some of you to start thinking about your own prejudicial attitudes, and sensitizing you to them. I've been shocked to discover how much I think in prejudicial ways, because our society has built a lot of prejudice into us. Also, some of you have been greatly prejudiced toward others because of your parent's attitudes or because you've had a bad experience with an individual and you translate that experience to everyone else of that race or that background.

God wants us to see people as individuals, created and loved by Him, of equal importance and value. We must, by His grace, root out the prejudice within us so that we can show the world what God's love is like. This is especially important within the body of believers, and I pray you'll get serious about facing your own prejudices and asking God to forgive you and teach you to see others as He sees them. That's the secret—looking at the world through the eyes of Jesus.

No comments: