Monday, March 10, 2008

Depression

Christian Working Woman Transcript

Monday, March 10, 2008 - Dealing With Depression

Depression is not the most joyful topic we could consider, but the truth is, many people suffer terribly with depression–yes, even Christians. And therefore, it’s a subject we need to consider from a biblical perspective.

Some would say that a Christian should be emotionally strong and healthy and if you’re not, something’s wrong spiritually. This has caused many Christians to hide their depression and refuse to get help. But that teaching is not supported by Scripture. There are many examples of strong people of faith in Scripture who battled emotional issues. Read Psalm 38 and you will hear David describe great emotional pain:
· My guilt has overwhelmed me like a burden too heavy to bear.
· I am bowed down and brought very low; all day long I go about mourning.
· I have become like a man who does not hear, whose mouth can offer no reply.
· I am feeble and utterly crushed; I groan in anguish of heart.

Elijah, the great prophet, did mighty deeds for the Lord. Yet listen to his words:

Elijah came to a broom tree, sat down under it and prayed that he might die. “I have had enough, Lord,” he said. “Take my life; I am no better than my ancestors.”

Those are words of discouraged and depressed men–even wanting to die.
We need to make it safe for Christians to acknowledge their struggle with depression so they can find healing and help. Those who suffer with depression don’t need clichés or trite answers. We have to show how God’s grace can bring healing and help in their everyday lives.

So I want to give a few suggestions on how to deal with depression for yourself, or how to help someone you love who is battling depression.

No comments: